Quick! You’re headed to a deserted island and you can only bring three items with you. What are they? For most people, the answer will include photos of family, friends and happy moments. Photos are emotion-eliciting treasures, yet we can erase thousands of photos with a technological glitch or an accidental click of the wrong button. Fortunately, free online photo storage, such as Dropbox and Google Photos, empowers us to securely store and access photographs, videos and other media.
Given its importance, it’s no wonder that selecting the best free online photo storage can feel overwhelming. There are many options within the online photo storage free space today.
Smartphones, now with advanced camera technology and availability of many robust and easy-to-use photo editing apps, have empowered nearly everyone to take high-quality photos. This ability to take great shots, anywhere with just a phone in hand, has dramatically increased the volume of photos people are taking to better remember the people, places and things important to them. With this perk, however, comes an increasingly important challenge: securing reliable free online photo storage that will protect your digital memories and enable you to easily access, share and download your photos.
New brands are regularly entering the cloud file storage and management industry but a few staple brands still dominate the online photo storage free market. As these big players battle for your business, today’s free online photo storage market provides remarkably reasonably priced options with unique features.
To help you decide which platform is best for you, we’ve created this overview that details the most popular online photo storage free options.
How to choose the best free online photo storage options
1. Assess your needs and define what you really need from free online photo storage.
Before diving into these online photo storage free resources, it’s important to determine what you really need from your free online photo storage. Having this knowledge top of mind will make the decision significantly easier for you.
Some people seek only a means to back up their photos; they may use other programs for browsing or sharing them. Other people use free online photo storage as online virtual photo albums. If this is you, consider the user experience factors. If you intend to frequently travel down Memory Lane and browse your collections of photos or if you expect to be searching for specific photos often, you’ll be wise to compare the organizational file structure and ease of use offered by the free online photo storage options. Additionally, it may be important to you that you can access your photos seamlessly from any device type. If you’d like to be able to share photos quickly and efficiently on your social media accounts, take note of how social media is integrated into the experience within the online photo storage free market options.
2. Consider the history and future of each free online photo storage option.
Longevity does matter. Look closely at the brands with established credibility and that are continually enhancing their technology and user experience.
What the most popular free online photo storage options offer you
Once you’ve determined what’s most important to you as you look at online photo storage free options, you’ll be well equipped to decide the best way to manage your photos in the cloud.
It’s important to mention that it is now standard for free online photo storage options to automatically syncs photos as they are taken via their respective smartphone apps.
1. Free online photo storage option 1: Dropbox
- Via its smartphone app, it automatically syncs photos as they are taken
- Reliable security: 256-bit AES and SSL encryption
- Unlimited file recovery for up to 30 days so you can rest assured if you mistakenly delete a file, Dropbox will retrieve it for you
- Among all of the online photo storage free options, Dropbox has been praised for its exceptional ease of use
- The timeline-based photo gallery viewing makes it easier to find photos and extremely easy to share via social media or by email, through the app and the web version
Pricing: Its basic plan is free starting with 2GB of storage. Dropbox kicks it up to a hefty 1TB of space for just $9.99/month. Also, here’s how to easily download photos from Dropbox.
2. Free online photo storage option 2: Yahoo’s Flickr
Pioneering photo platform Flickr, once the king within the online photo storage free world, has heavily invested in keeping up with the skyrocketing popularity of image-driven social media sites.
- Via its smartphone app, it automatically syncs photos as they are taken
- Warmly embraced by pro photographers from its early days to the present, Flickr remains a great option for sharing and displaying photographs in a captivating way
- Ample editing tools
- Easy social media sharing
- Flickr is a good option if you consider free online photo storage to double as an opportunity to share your photo collections with the world
Important note: With Flickr’s free basic plan, ads will appear alongside your photos.
Pricing: Its basic plan is free and provides up to 1TB of storage. Its pro version at $5.99/month makes it an ad-free experience and provides advanced stats on photo views.
3. Free online photo storage option 3: Apple iCloud Photo Library
Apple users will have a particular interest in the iCloud Photo Library among the other online photo storage free options.
- Signature, stellar Apple user experience
- Seamlessly integration across all Apple devices
Pricing: Its basic plan is free up to 5GB of storage. For just $0.99 per month, you’ll have 50GB of the iCloud library. $2.99/month, you’ll have 200GB and in line with other paid options, enjoy 1TB of storage for $9.99/month.
4. Free online photo storage option 4: Microsoft One Drive
- Follows Microsoft Office user experience style, which is great for MS fans
- Like Dropbox, One Drive is a cloud file management and storage solution so you store all of your files
Important note: Microsoft One Drive is first and foremost a cloud file management and storage solution. Some users say that unlike the other online photo storage free options, Microsoft One Drive is not designed for the unique user experience requirements that accompany photo storage.
Pricing: Its basic plan is free up to 5GB of storage. For $1.99 per month, you’ll have 50GB on the One Drive. For $6.99/month, one user will have 1TB of space. Up to 5 users can use the 1TB allotment at the industry standard rate of $9.99/month.
5. Free online photo storage option 5: Google Photos
- One-second importing of images from Gmail to Google Photos
- Extremely impressive organization and categorization thanks to sophisticated GPS location, facial, place and object recognition tagging technology that improves the search process
Important note: Unlike Dropbox and other online photo storage free options, Google Photos caps photo resolution to 16 megapixels. If you upload photos larger than that, Google Photos will compress them. Also, critics have cited security concerns and questions about the wording of terms within the Google Photos agreement.
Pricing: Its basic plan is free up to 15GB of storage. For $1.99 per month, Google will give you 100GB of space and like its Dropbox Photos counterpart, $9.99/month buys you 1TB of storage.
6. Free online photo storage option 6: Amazon Prime Photos on Amazon Drive
- You can share your unlimited storage offer with one other person who lives with you
- Recognizes and stores RAW files at full resolution
Pricing: Unlimited photo storage (+ up to 5GB of videos or other media) is offered to all Amazon Prime members. Prime memberships are $99 annually.
No matter which free online photo storage option you choose, you can rest assured that your photos will be safe and protected. Should that deserted island scenario occur in real life, your photos and memories will be just a finger swipe away. Let’s just hope Wi-fi makes it there by then.
Comments are closed.